Barbara C. Johnson
CLIENT FEE AGREEMENT
I, [Insert your name], of [ your street address, your town/city, your state and zipcode] ("the Client") hereby agree to retain the law firm of Barbara C. Johnson, 6 Appletree Lane, Andover, MA 01810-4102 (the "Firm"), in connection with matters concerning [Insert the legal problem. If you have a case name and docket number, insert them].
1. The Firm hereby acknowledges receipt of $______ as a retainer in this matter and, in consideration of the payment thereof, agrees to provide legal services in connection therewith. The retainer paid herewith by the Client shall be applied against the final bill rendered either upon completion of the within matter or the termination of the Firm's representation of the Client. Further, the sum of $_____ shall immediately become the property of the Firm and is non-refundable.
2. The Client understands that no precise estimate of legal fees can be given. The total amount of attorney's fees, costs, and disbursements may be substantially more, or less, than this initial retainer.
3. It is agreed by and between the Client and the Firm that the retainer paid herein by the Client shall be applied against legal services actually performed, and disbursements made, by the Firm for the Client, which cost for services shall take into consideration the factors prescribed in paragraph 12 of this agreement, but in no event shall be less than the hourly rate of $250.00.
4. It is further agreed by and between the Client and the Firm that until the final bill is rendered, the Client shall pay interim billings rendered to the Client for legal services performed, which services shall be charged at $250.00 per hour for Attorney Johnson and at $75.00 per hour for a paralegal.
5. The Firm reserves the right to adjust the hourly fee after notifying the Client. However, under no circumstances will the hourly fee be revised until the Firm has represented the Client for at last six months.
6. Interim billings submitted to the Client shall be paid in full by the Client within ten days of their date. The Client shall be charged interest at the rate of one and one-half percent per month on the unpaid balance beginning 30 days from the date the bill is rendered.
7. The Client understands that he or she has the right to consult with another lawyer in connection with any of the terms of this agreement prior to signing it.
8. The Client hereby agrees to reimburse the Firm for all costs and disbursements incurred by it and for all legal services performed on the Client's behalf at the hourly rate set forth above.
9. The Client agrees to assume and pay for all out-of-pocket disbursements incurred in connection with this matter (e.g., filing fees, witness fees, travel and mileage costs, sheriff's and constable's fees, expenses of depositions, investigative expenses, and other incidental expenses); and the Firm agrees to obtain the Client's prior approval before incurring any disbursements in excess of $200.00.
10. It is understood and agreed that the hourly time charge for legal services includes, but is not limited to, the following: Court appearances (including travel time to and from Court); conferences; telephone calls; correspondence; legal research and writing; depositions; drafting and filing legal documents; reading and reviewing of file materials and preparation for any Court hearings and trial. Telephone calls and correspondence shall be billed at a minimum rate of one-quarter of one hour.
11. The Client hereby assumes the obligation to pay promptly for all attorney's fees, costs, and disbursements in full.
12. It is understood and agreed that the final bill to be rendered by the Firm shall, in addition to reflecting the time expended, take into account the factors prescribed by the Supreme Judicial Court to be considered as guidelines when determining the reasonableness of fees for legal services, including the following:
b. novelty and difficulty of the questions involved;
c. the skill requisite to perform the legal services properly;
of other employment by the attorney due to
e. customary fee in the community for similar work;
f. whether the fee is fixed or contingent;
g. time limitations
imposed by the client or by the
h. amount involved and the results obtained;
reputation and ability of the attorney or attorneys
k. "undesirability" of the case;
and length of professional relationship between the
m. awards in similar cases.
____Sign here after details
are agreed upon_____
LAW OFFICE OF BARBARA C. JOHNSON